Special Olympics Virginia Area 6 Grants and Donations
Who are we?
Special Olympics Area 6 is part of Special Olympics Virginia serving SOVA Athletes in Chesterfield, Powhatan, Goochland, New Kent, Amelia and West Point. We are an all-volunteer organization with almost 1,000 Athletes currently registered for our programs. Special Olympics was created by the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation for the benefit of persons with intellectual disabilities.
Who are our Athletes?
SOVA serves people with intellectual disabilities, cognitive delays, and developmental disabilities, providing them with great sports and camaraderie.
Eight years of age or over
- Eligible to train and Compete
Ages 6 – 7
- May train but not participate in competitions
Ages 2 – 7
- May participate in the Young Athletes Program
Our Program is Free for Athletes and Families
Neither families nor Athletes are asked to pay any fees to take part in either training or competitions.
Area 6 Pays For:
- Sports Equipment
- Registration Fees
- Transportation to Competitions out of the Area
- Facility Usage Charges
- Game Officials
- Travel Accommodations
- Food, Snacks, Beverages
- Awards, Certificates, Medals, Ribbons
What Sports Do We Offer?
|Alpine skiing (Local Only)
January Through Summer Games:
Track & Field
How Our Progam is Funded
- Local Business
- Service Clubs
- Our Own Volunteer Organized Fund Raising Efforts
100 Percent of these donated funds are spent to directly to benefit our athletes
- Area 6 is an all Volunteer run program
- Area 6 is a 501(c)(3) charity recognized by the IRS, therefore all donations are tax deductible as applied under law.
- GOLD – $6,000+ For donations of $6,000 or more we will make a 2′ x 5′ banner with your company name, logo, one line tag and webiste address that will be displayed at Area 6 sport competitions for one year. We will also provide recognition on our website for your donation (with your permission).
- SILVER – $3,000+ For donation of $3,000 to $5,999 we will add your name/company name, logo and webiste to a banner listing our Silver sponsors that will be displayed at Area 6 sport competitions for one year. We will also provide recognition on our website for your donation (with your permission).
- BRONZE – $500 – $2,999 For donations of $500 to $2,999 we will provide recognition on our website for your donation (with your permission).
Grants Manager Communications for Sponsors and Donations
If you wish to speak with our Grants Manager to request further information or plan a visit to your company, please conact Richard Koch at GrantsManagerArea6@gmail.com. We can also plan a visit with one of our Athletes so he/she could tell you what our program means to him/her.
Sending Donations Directly to Benefit our Athletes
We have a PO Box for sending donations. Please write checks to SOVA Area 6 to ensure the funds stay in our Area and mail to:
Special Olympics Area 6
PO Box 72924
North Chesterfield VA 23235
Or Stop By and See Our Athletes in Action
Stop by one of our events and root our Athletes on! Our website Area6SOVA.org has a Calendar with practice and competition dates and locations for your convenience.
If you would like to donate while there, checks and cash can be given to any Area 6 Board Member or Coach. We appreciate every donation, big and small to keep providing a great time for our Athletes.
It Takes Hundreds of Volunteers
We have so many wonderful and dedicated volunteers helping us to run our organization. If anyone is interested in a rewarding volunteer position, here are some that we have every year.
- Work directly with athletes
- Work in an Administrative Capacity
- Chaperone on Overnight Events
- Organize Training Programs
- Ongoing Volunteer Effort
- One time or Day only Effort
- Create their own effort
- Participate with one local
- Participate with more than one local
- Council Member
- School Liaison
- Unified Partners
- Cheering in the Stands